The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and most people like to spend that time with their family. For many, it is just as simple as getting together with others and eating a lot of food. 

Thanksgiving first started in the United States around November 1621. It is often referred to as the “first Thanksgiving” but was never made into a national holiday until around 1863, when it was made official by President Abraham Lincoln. Thanksgiving originated when the pilgrims left England and went to what is now the United States of America. The pilgrims spent this holiday with the Native Americans. The pilgrims did this because the Native Americans taught the pilgrims how to survive in the new world we know today as the United States of America.

Many people in the USA spend time together watching the big football game, the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, or the annual dog show on TV. Some break the wishbone from the turkey for good luck, and this has become a holiday favorite. A lot of kids make hand turkeys and help make desserts. Other common traditions are writing down what one is thankful for on a piece of paper and putting it in a bowl. Then, all take turns drawing one to guess which thankful message belongs to which person. Some just simply take a turn to say their thankful thoughts. Other people have Friendsgiving which is just Thanksgiving specifically celebrated with a group of friends.

America isn’t the only place that celebrates this holiday. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on the first Monday of October every year. The other countries that celebrate Thanksgiving do not call the holiday Thanksgiving and do not have it around the same time of year as America.

In addition to all the festivities, food is also a big part of the day. Often, families have turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, dinner rolls and cranberry sauce.  There are also desserts such as pie or cake. Many go outside to play a game of football or take a walk. A lot of  families like to reminisce about past Thanksgivings and listen to the older people reminiscing about their favorite childhood memories and what the holiday was like for them. 

Whatever a family chooses to do for Thanksgiving, they should have fun, make memories, eat a lot, give thanks, spend quality time together, and have a happy Thanksgiving.