The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Class of 2024 Valedictorian and Salutatorian

WLHS has announced Class of 2024 Valedictorian, Emily Snodgrass, and Salutatorian Emma Cruse.
WLHS 2024 Valedictorian, Emily Snodgrass
WLHS 2024 Salutatorian Emma Cruse

West Lauderdale High School recently announced the Class of 2024 Valedictorian and Salutatorian. This year’s Valedictorian is Emily Snodgrass and Salutatorian is Emma Cruse. To commemorate this prestigious achievement, the Squire Staff interviewed the recipients of these awards.

Emily Snodgrass who was selected as West Lauderdale’s 2024 valedictorian says she was “overjoyed” and “relieved” as she was informed of this accomplishment and told her family immediately.

Emma Cruse, West Lauderdale’s Class of 2024 Salutatorian, was “beyond honored” because “[her] hard work had finally paid off.”

Additionally, Snodgrass describes how West Lauderdale has molded her into the person she is today stating, “I have learned hard work and dedication through my academic journey” as well as “the value of education.”

She also spotlights the teachers who have made a monumental impact in her academic career stating, “Mr. Grant, Ms. West, Mrs. Sollie, and Ms. Waters have truly changed me for the better.”

Looking back through her high school years, Snodgrass says that participating in state competitions for band and cross country have been her most memorable moments. She describes West Lauderdale as a “home” as it is filled with “many friendships,  memories, and achievements” and she has always felt “welcome.”

Cruse has also had many accomplishments throughout high school including, being selected for Leadership Lauderdale, serving on the State Superintendent of Mississippi, being chosen as West Lauderdale’s female nominee for the Lindy Callahan award, and her “most memorable achievement,” being an Eminent Scholar.

West Lauderdale has made a lasting impact on Cruse through “instilling in her the need for community.” West Lauderdale has been a great school for her “mainly because of the people.”

Additionally, many of her teachers including Ms.Waters, Mrs.Sollie, Mr.Davidson, Ms.West, and Mrs.Gressett have had a great influence on her life. Ms.Waters “[grew her] love for literature and writing,” Mr.Davidson “[inspired her] future in the medical field,” and Mrs.Gressett  “[was] always there to listen and help.”

Looking towards the future, Snodgrass plans on attending Mississippi State University and majoring in Biochemistry. After attending MSU, Snodgrass plans on going to med school in hopes of pursuing a career as a surgeon or environmental scientist.

Following high school, Cruse plans to attend the University of South Alabama where she will be one of the five members of the Early Acceptance Physical Therapy Program. She plans to study exercise science as an undergraduate student and attend physical therapy school immediately following.

When asked what advice she would give to students aspiring to achieve academic success, Snodgrass stated “A student needs to be self-driven…They need to manage their time well, stay on top of all work, and put 100% effort into every assignment they do.” Additionally, she states that “[students] need to spend lots of time studying and building those habits.”

Cruse advises students aiming to become the Valedictorian or Salutatorian of their class to take difficult courses, have perseverance, and have a hobby or outlet to “[keep] you sane during the toughest of your classes.”

Finally, when asked what her favorite quote was, Emily responded with a quote by J.R.R. Tolkien states, “Not all those who wander are lost.” She says she chose that quote as “everyone, especially high schoolers, could benefit from keeping an open mind. Being open to discovery will bring great things.”

Finally, when asked about her favorite quote, Cruse responded with, “If we wait until we’re ready, we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives,” by Lemony Snicket.

Congratulations to the Class of 2024 Valedictorian and Salutatorian on this great accomplishment.