The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

What’s the Big Deal about Chorus?

As the school year is coming to an end, so are many courses, including chorus. West Lauderdale has had a chorus course for 18 years. Twyla Hurst was West Lauderdale High School’s choral director for 16 years. When Hurst retired, there was a gap year from the 2021-2022 school year. Brandon Davidson is the current director and is in his second year as in this position.

Chorus is a one-semester class that is taken by ninth-grade students to seniors. This year the students ended their semester with two chorus concerts. College Park Methodist Church welcomed West Lauderdale and MCC on April 18th to perform their choral selections. Pine Forest Baptist Church opened their establishment for West Lauderdale to put on their concert.

Davidson was asked questions about chorus. He was then asked, “What is your favorite part about West Lauderdale’s chorus?” Davidson said, “The students, and pushing and challenging them to be better musicians, and tapping into their talent.” “Are you excited about this coming year?” Davidson exclaimed, “Yes! We’re going to be doing a little bit more of some choral, but then also we’re gonna throw in a couple of pop, show choir type things.” Finally asked, “What is your favorite song we’ve sung this year?” He replied, “I don’t know if I have just one favorite one, but I do think that ‘His Perfect Love’ is really good, because it’s a challenging piece, but then I think my favorite one that we have sang is probably ‘I’m Gonna Sing Till The Spirit Moves In My Heart’ by Moses Hogan.”

Grant Butler is a senior at West Lauderdale, and has been a part of West Lauderdale’s chorus since ninth grade. Butler also accompanies the choir with the piano. He was asked, “Do you enjoy playing piano for West Lauderdale’s choir?” He replied, “Yes, I do. Whenever I first started the ninth grade, I really thought it was going to be an opportunity to sing, and enhance my singing skills, but given the chance to accompany it is fun. I get to play with the choir.” “What do you enjoy most about West Lauderdale’s chorus and why?” Butler responded, “I enjoy the fellowship and all of us coming together using our talents, and putting that on display for others to hear it. I really love music. I have since I was in third grade whenever I started taking piano lessons, and chorus at West Lauderdale gives me the opportunity to display my talents for others.” Then he was asked, “Do you enjoy having Mr. Davidson as the chorus director?” Butler said enthusiastically, “I want you to put this word for word. I absolutely love Mr. Davidson being the chorus director. Ten out of ten. Would recommend.” Finally he was asked, “What is your favorite song that we are currently singing?” He answered that his favorite is “Storm.”

Miles McAlister is a senior at West Lauderdale. This is his second year being part of the chorus. He was asked, “What do you enjoy most about West Lauderdale’s chorus and why?” He replied, “Probably it’s one of the only classes where you’re gonna have ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth, so all the grades kinda all get to bond and I guess just be able to talk and go together.” McAlister was asked, “Do you enjoy having Mr. Davidson as the chorus director?” He said, “Yes, Mr. Davidson’s great. At first, like last year, when he was still learning everything it was funny to see he was kinda nervous and everything, but it’s been great seeing him grow and kind of grow into one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.” Lastly he was asked, “What is your favorite song that we are currently singing?” He said his favorite song is “His Perfect Love.”

West Lauderdale’s chorus is a course that many would say you should take. Auditions will be held on May 16th, 2024 for students entering ninth through twelfth grade.