The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

HOSA State Competition

HOSA Students at the state competition.

West Lauderdale High School HOSA competed in Mississippi’s HOSA State competition this past week. Members competed in various areas including HOSA Bowl, Physical Therapy, Phlebotomy, and Pharamacy.

In order to make it to state, HOSA members must have previously placed within the top ten at Central Regions DIstrict competition. Once at state on March 26, all competitors were required to take an entrance exam and the top eight were selected to move forward.

The following day, March 27, is when HOSA members put their knowledge to the test as they performed skills specializing in multiple areas of the medical field. These skills included a HOSA Bowl competition, Physical Therapy, and Pharmacy. Additionally, students were tested in specific subject areas including anatomy and physiology, medical mathematics, anatomage competition, leadership, career development, and family medicine.

Finally, on March 28, an awards ceremony was held for those who placed out of the state. The HOSA bowl team placed second in the state and included the members Abbie Cruse, Anna Vincent, Allison McCoy, and Misty Johnson. Anna Vincent won fourth place in the anatomy and physiology competition. Abbie Cruse won third place in the HOSA Happenings competition. Ansley Mason won fourth place in the Physical Therapy competition. Allison McCoy won first place in medical mathematics. Haley Graham won second in the Sports Medicine competition and first in the leadership competition. Claire Withers won second in the pharmacy competition and first in the family medicine competition. Sawyer Ballard won second place in career development competition.

Not only were HOSA members able to put their knowledge to the test but they also acquired valuable skills. From meeting new people to practicing leadership, HOSA state competition was a unique experience for members.