The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

National Honor Society Induction

West Lauderdale High School hosted the induction ceremony for its 2024-2025 National Honor Society (NHS) candidates on Sunday, April 28 at 2:00 PM in the school gymnasium. This event recognized students who have demonstrated exemplary performance in academics, leadership, community service, and character.

Students selected for the honor of being inducted into NHS are applauded for their academic prowess, outstanding leadership skills, active participation in school activities, and upstanding character. The induction is not only a moment of honor but also a pledge by the students to uphold the excellence that they were initially chosen for.

The National Honor Society is the organization in the United States that recognizes high school students who demonstrate excellence. Members in the National Honor Society do many things, including: service projects, peer tutoring, and all things that have to do with uplifting your community.
To be selected as a potential candidate is a privilege and students who have been selected should be honored. In an interview with Micheal Lewis, He shared how he felt about having being selected as a inductee for NHS, stating:

“I’m honored to be inducted into it to be honest. It’s a good feeling knowing that paying attention and actually trying in school pays off for the better. I feel like it can definitely play a role in developing me to have a better future and be a more well-rounded person… I think it’s a great situation to be put in and I’m very happy that I’m in it.”

The advisor for WLHS’s National Honor Society is Shauna Waters; it is her job to see the student’s potential and make the selection as to which students are chosen. When asked about the decision making process and its difficulty, she said this:

“Those deemed worthy by the council are invited to our Induction ceremony where they become members. NHS requires a lot of work to be sure, but our chapter does such amazing things for our school and community that I am happy to do it.”

National Honor Society is a big deal for all students who strive for academic greatness even if the students still have a couple years until they are allowed in. Freshman, Graham Tillery was asked her feelings on being in the national honors society, she added:

“[National Honor Society] not only promotes scholarship but also community involvement for the society’s members. NHS is a well-respected, and supported, organization across America. Regarding my possible future involvement, it would be a privilege to represent West Lauderdale High School by being a member of NHS.”

West Lauderdale celebrates the students selected in a beautiful ceremony, with words from the advisors and current/past officers. Presidents and leaders’ achievements from this past school year were also recognized. The seniors who devoted their time through their high school careers were given chords to wear graduation to represent their achievements. Many students and parents gathered in the high school gym to honor these kids for their hard work. This celebration was not just an end; it’s a bright beginning to the next chapter of accomplishment and service these dedicated students are sure to uphold.