The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Knights Tennis Goes To The State Championship

Varsity players pictured with 2024 4A State Runner Up trophy and Coaches Amy Fairchild and Sara Mazzella.

The West Lauderdale Tennis Team recently completed the 2024 playoffs, making it to the state championship for the first time in the program’s history. After their third-round win, Coach Amy Fairchild said, “This is great! We’ve never been this far before!”

In the first round, the team defeated North Pontotoc. They took down Itawamba in the second round and South Pontotoc in the third. In the state semifinals, they won against Sumrall. Finally, they faced New Albany in the championship, but unfortunately fell 1-6. The team ended the season as the 2024 4A State Runner-Ups.

Boys’ Singles, Brayden Combs; Girl’s Singles, Emma Bounds; Line 1 Boys’ Doubles, Miles McAlister and Hayden Williams; Line 1 Girls’ Doubles, Katherine Bounds and Elizabeth Shirley; and Mixed Doubles, Grant Butler and Kate Smith all qualified for the individual state tournament.

Emma Bounds made it to the finals, becoming the 2024 4A Girls’ Singles State Runner-Up. Girls’ Singles, Line 1 Boys’ Doubles, Line 1 Girls’ Doubles, and Mixed Doubles were all semifinalists.

The Knights ended their season with an 11-3 record.