The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Folklore Album Review

Folklore is Taylor Swift’s eighth studio album and was released on July 24, 2020. This album was made while Swift and her crew were in quarantine and was a surprise album to the fans, giving them only a day’s notice of the release. Folklore dives into Swift’s country roots and exemplary songwriting, with stories about some of her original characters and prominent figures in her life. 

Some of the most popular tracks on the album are “August,” “Betty,” and “Cardigan.” These songs take the listener through a story of a group of high school students experiencing the trials and tribulations of teenage love. Not only did Folklore showcase Swift’s incredible creativity and storytelling, but songs like “My Tears Ricochet” and “This Is Me Trying” are extremely real and present, giving listeners something to relate to and find comfort in. 

Swift has always had a way of making her music incredibly relatable to her audience, but there are also songs on Folklore that are exceptionally personal to Swift. Some examples of this are the songs “Mirrorball” and “The Last Great American Dynasty” where she talks about things that are very personal and important to her. 

While this album is a huge shift from what Swift is known for, it has earned her some of the best rewards of her career. Winning Album of the Year at the 2021 Grammy Awards, Folklore made Swift the first woman in history to win this award three times. 

On November 25th, 2020, Swift also released the film “Folklore: The Long Pond Studios Sessions,” which takes the audience through the entire album, one by one, with input from Swift about what each song on the album means to her and her crew. This film beautifully explained what the album is all about and why the songs are so significant. 

In summary, Folklore is an absolute journey of an album and is a great example of versatility and incredible songwriting. The album is relatable to a large audience while also remaining personal and meaningful.