The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Movie Review: Pride & Prejudice

Movie Review: Pride & Prejudice

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” 

Pride & Prejudice, a 2005 movie directed by Joe Wright, includes a blend of excellent cinematography, acting, and an interesting storyline. Based on the 1813 novel by Jane Austen of the same name, the movie stars Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew Macfayden as Mr. Darcy. Among the various adaptations of Austen’s novel, such as the 1995 BBC version, Wright’s seems to be the most popular.

Pride & Prejudice follows the journey of Elizabeth Bennet, a spirited young woman from an upper-class family in early 19th-century England. As Elizabeth was the second daughter out of five girls, Mrs. Bennet, Elizabeth’s mother, is determined to find suitable matches for all of her children. When two wealthy bachelors, Charles Bingley and his friend Mr. Darcy move into the area, Elizabeth and her family are delighted. However, when Elizabeth meets Mr. Darcy, things begin to change. 

Despite being rich and handsome, Mr. Darcy also appears to have an unlikable attitude. At their initial meeting, Elizabeth and Darcy have negative impressions of one another and occasionally even have arguments. However, as time goes on, their views begin to change and they eventually fall in love.

The film also features various subplots, such as the romance between Jane Bennet, Elizabeth’s older sister, and Mr. Bingley. Mr. Darcy’s aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, also plays a small role as an enemy figure of Elizabeth. 

While watching the movie, I particularly appreciated the beautiful cinematography that it has. The elegant portrayal of the English countryside was one of the things that especially captivated me. The opening scene features Elizabeth walking to her house with a book in her hand and her younger sister playing piano in the background, making it one of the most memorable scenes. There is also a dancing scene between Darcy and Elizabeth that serves as one of the most iconic moments of the film.

Overall, Pride & Prejudice is a story of love, class, and inner growth. It has an amazing storyline, acting, and scenery, which makes it a great movie when you are in need of something to watch.