The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Fighting Hunger, One Turkey Feather at a Time

In a compassionate move, the National Honor Society lends financial support to Love’s Kitchen, aiding their efforts to feed those in need.
Ms. Waters
Brayden Alford, Emily Snodgrass, and Fannie Johnson standing outside Loves Kitchen

The Libby Gary chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) found a unique way to show gratitude this holiday season: donating a turkey to LOVE’s Kitchen, a local non-profit organization. But this wasn’t just any turkey – each feather of the paper turkey bore the name of a generous donor.

LOVE’s Kitchen, a non-profit organization in Meridian, Mississippi, is dedicated to feeding those in need. Donations—like the money from the turkey feather fundraiser from the NHS—provide them with a lifeline. The fundraiser helps the group work towards feeding those in need. One of the goals of the National Honor Society is to serve its community; by providing these funds, the organization does just that. This donation symbolizes the community’s support and acknowledgment of the chapter’s efforts.

The National Honor Society is an organization of students who represent the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. This fundraising project has been an annual tradition for the group for the past eight years. Each year, the group has managed to donate significant amounts of money.

“This is one of our best years,” chapter adviser Shauna Waters said in her interview with a journalist at the Meridian Star.

The committee has raised $2110 this year to support the organization. NHS hopes to raise even more money next year. The students of the National Honor Society have worked hard to raise money, and Ms. Waters stated in the interview that “[s]erving our community is incredibly important for us.”

The chapter will continue this annual project to support their community, and help LOVE’s Kitchen feed those in need. The National Honor Society will strengthen its core values and provide more for the community through these projects.

NHS members working on the turkey. (Ms. Waters)