The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

NHS Turkey Feather Fundraiser

The Libby Gary chapter of the National Honor Society partnered up with LOVE’s Kitchen to raise money for their organization. LOVE’s Kitchen was established in February of 1983, and they are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year. They work hard to fight hunger in our local area.

West Lauderdale has partnered with LOVE’s Kitchen for eight years. The National Honor Society has an annual fundraiser around Thanksgiving. They sell one dollar “turkey feathers” as shown in the picture above. This year, West Lauderdale raised $2,110 dollars that was donated to LOVE’s Kitchen.

Fannie Johnson, director of LOVE’s Kitchen, said LOVE’s Kitchen’s mission is that “[they] feed hungry people.” She stated that while this may not seem like a lot, it is still extremely important, and that is what matters. It is what gets one through life and helps them better prepare for tests and school. Johnson also mentioned the incredible staff members and volunteers who help out at LOVE’s Kitchen. LOVE’s Kitchen is grateful for what West Lauderdale and volunteers do for the local soup kitchen to help fight hunger in our community.