The Student News Site of West Lauderdale High School

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

Military and Veteran Awareness Month

Photo depicts a person standing next to military gear (Benjamin Faust)

Every November, America nationally observes Military and Veterans Awareness Month. Millions of veterans put their life on the line to ensure America’s liberty and safety. It is imperative that Americans honor those who are fighting and those who have fallen while fighting for our country.

Both active-duty soldiers and veterans serve the United States in many capacities. Most citizens understand what happens during combat; however, the effect of their service is often disregarded. In a recent interview with a Squire staff member and West Lauderdale’s History teacher Edward Abdella, Abdella recounts his experience in the military and the urgency of spreading awareness for veterans post-combat, “We have a lot of soldiers coming back that need to get help. A lot of the stuff that we are doing is for suicide prevention and reaching out to soldiers that have nobody to turn to.” It is the American people’s duty to serve those who have served America. 

The impact of America’s veterans is far greater than the surface level. Veterans and soldiers experience many trials throughout their lives, which allows them to share the important lessons they learned with others. Therefore, it is the American people’s duty to be aware of what veterans experience and show respect and honor for them. We sincerely thank all veterans for your valiant service.